As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Project #1: Refreshing the Library

 

As promised, I am back to talk about our completed house projects from 2023. 



The loveseat in the library has needed reupholstering for a long time.

(You can read about how and why we made our fourth bedroom into a library ~ here ~.)

~ loveseat in The Farmhouse kitchen ~

When we moved from The Farmhouse eight years ago, the loveseat was showing some wear (it was used almost constantly in the Farmhouse kitchen). But it has only gotten worse over time . . . so bad in fact that when a grandchild hid one of Bekah's rings in a hole in the fabric on the arm, that ring wasn't discovered for a year! 😂 

So when I had the opportunity to order some discounted fabric from a company that was discontinuing its furniture line, I ordered enough for all three of the pieces that I wanted recovered. First in line to be reupholstered was the small wing chair in the guest room, but when I picked up that chair from the upholsterer, I asked to be put on his (long) list for both of the pieces of furniture in the library: the loveseat and a wing chair that I had purchased on Facebook Marketplace. 

And that is how the library got an update during our challenging year. 

Only a couple of weeks after my dad came from rehab to live with us, the upholsterer called to say that he was ready for us to bring him the chair. As excited as I was to have the work done, my time was completely taken up in my role as caregiver, so Ron loaded up the chair and the roll of fabric and delivered them to the upholsterer. He returned a week later to pick up the chair and to drop off the loveseat and fabric, and finally made one more trip to pick up the loveseat. 



We had chosen a mustard Lover's Knot pattern for the chair. I love the pattern, but I had intended to use the reverse side (the one with more mustard and less ecru). I guess I had just assumed that Ron would read my mind? Oops. I have considered taking the chair back to the upholsterer and asking if it could be reversed, but I don't think I want to spend the money to have the job done again. What would you do? 

You can see the difference in this photo: ecru with mustard vs. mustard with ecru.



For the loveseat, we chose a pattern called Flowerbird in natural and green. The green in the fabric echoes the color of the trim in the room, and it also has a little bit of mustard to complement the chair. 

It didn't come with the cat, but he's there a lot. 

Since the loveseat fabric is light, we ordered this quilt to cover the seat and keep it clean. The quilt was inexpensive, but it is 100% cotton and the quality is good.




The last step in our refresh was choosing a rug, and I found that more difficult than choosing upholstery fabrics! We tried a rug that we had stored in our attic, but the colors were not right nor was the size. In June, I ordered a rug online, but the red was too bright and there was too much blue, and I decided that it was also too big, so I returned that one. I continued to measure and consider and shop, online and in stores. 


At the end of October, I ordered another rug because I really wanted to have a cozy floor when our out-of-state children and their families came home for Thanksgiving! I chose ~ this one ~ from Amazon. It was square (which really works best for this small room, although square rugs are hard to find) and it was inexpensive. It looks better in person than in photographs, but I am still not totally satisfied with the colors. (Rugs are hard!) It may stay for years, or it may be a "place holder" until I find the perfect rug. The low investment makes that a possibility.

Do you ever use "place holders" while you're waiting for the right thing? 





Our library, while not a main living space, serves many purposes. It was our homeschool room. It is a reading nook. It is a place to pay bills or do computer work. During the pandemic, the library served as Ron's home office. It stores our craft materials. It is an extra gathering room. It is a place where the grands play games together or create one of their original musicals. It is a room for a private conversation. It is also where Bekah does much of her work for college. And occasionally it serves as an overflow guest room, air mattress and all! 

Now it is refreshed and will continue to serve our family for years to come! 




26 comments:

  1. I love the transformation of your furniture. And I have to say that I prefer the lighter fabric that is on the chair. The little sofa looks very inviting, and obviously the cat loves it! Ordering on line is difficult , and so many times I have been disappointed in a colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! Colors are quite difficult through a phone/computer screen! The same photo can look different on different devices. Our kitty and his person (Bekah) also love the library because it's the warmest room in the house. :)

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  2. Oh, I feel that gut wrench with the fabric done the wrong way! I’m more a mustard girl than ecru! I love what you’ve done with the Library. What a special space. I really like the rug, and I think it seems like a placeholder for you. Just a hunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Gut wrench" is a good description. Reupholstering is less expensive than brand new furniture, but it is nothing to sneeze at!

      "Just a hunch." I think you know me pretty well. :)

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  3. Oh and I’ll never get used to this anonymous thing! The above comment was from me!
    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. **rolling my eyes at this anonymous thing**

      Delete
  4. I love the mustard side of the fabric, but I think the chair would have fought with the rug and especially the sofa. The ecru side makes it more cooperative. Your updates are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I think you're right about the mustard and that rug. Although I may not have purchased that rug if I was working with the mustard chair . . .
      It's all so complicated!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  5. Your library looks like such a nice space to read and relax and as you say work as well. I remember when you first revealed it here. And now with new upholstery it looks lovely. I can just imagine how you felt when the chair was done with the opposite side of the fabric that you had chosen, but it looks lovely. Rugs can be tricky and I must admit to having many "place holders" in our home still! Our home is a constant work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Ellen! I am glad that you like the furniture! I am also glad to hear that you have "place holders" too! Absolutely, a home is always changing . . . as we change . . .

      Delete
  6. Such a cute little room. It truly is a great place to do ... well... everything. I like the lighter color on the chair. Maybe in the long run it wasn't a mistake. I think it goes much better with the loveseat. Love the rut also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kathy! It really is a cozy little room!

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't worry too much about the "wrong side" of the mustard chair. It looks lovely. But, maybe in about 4-5 years when you want a refresh/cleaner looking chair you can then have the upholsterer reverse the fabric for you!! ??
    You have such a wonderful eye for colors and a calm looking house. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a thought!

      I have doubted my eye for colors since moving into this house. At the Farmhouse, I had a feel for what would look good in each room. Here, I have not yet gotten it down pat. But I thank you for your kind words! I do appreciate a calm and restful house.

      Delete
  8. Complicated for sure. I am the queen of returns...just saying. Love the love seat fabric and smart to protect the seat like that. The fabric design and color suits the chair although it wasn't the side of fabric you desired on the chair. It's all in the world of 'life happens' and mistakes happen in the middle of all the life happenings!! Love your library space and all it's function!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! And a LOT of life was happening when that furniture was being recovered! Returning it has not been ruled out. Regardless, we do love the library. It is a hard-working space!

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  9. I think the lighter fabric looks best on that chair, especially with the love seat. Regarding the rug, have you considered a braided rug? I think you could find one with the greens, mustard colors in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had not thought about a braided rug because I gravitate towards Orientals, but you have given me another idea to consider!

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  10. what a lovely, workable room for many reasons. :) i love the lighter fabric on the chair just fine - though like you, i would have opted for the deeper mustard. beautiful fabrics and such an excellent upholstery finish. love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry, for your kind words! We do think our upholstery guy is excellent and we're grateful to have found such a craftsman.

      Delete
  11. You've created such a warm and lovely space, Cheryl. I like the paler ecru over the mustard, particularly if you keep the "placeholder" rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie! The ecru does work well with the rug. I'll be sure to update if there are any changes! :)

      Delete
  12. I love your "refresh" ideas! I am in the process of organizing my office space and chose a very similar rug. I too am always drawn to the oriental rug looks. Now I just wish I had you here to help me with organizing the rest of the room - eek! It all needs a lot of help and I am notoriously indecisive! You have such a good eye and your rooms are so cozy and welcoming. You did an amazing job inspite of what life was like for you while refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosella, you do not see the level of indecisiveness that is here behind the scenes! How many hours are spent looking at upholstery fabric samples . . . how many rugs I have looked at online . . . and, currently, how many paint strips I have gathered and how many samples I have painted on various places in my kitchen. Aye-yi-yi! It's all part of the process. But I thank you so much for your kind words! And I would totally help with your room if I were closer, not because I think you need the help, but because it would be fun to hang out together and work on a project!

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  13. What a lovely room, Cheryl. And I am amazed at how well you have things stored to make this room function in so many ways. I think you have a good eye for putting patterns and colors together. I'm glad you showed a close-up of both the chair's and the love seat's fabrics. Very pretty. I think Melissa above has a great idea about possibly turning the fabric on the chair after it's had some wear. I would never have thought of doing something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Becki! I appreciate your kind words!

      My daughter Bekah and I chose the fabrics together (after much consideration and deliberation). She has a great eye, but she likes the rug and I think it leans a little pinkish rather than the burgundy that I was looking for. I don't think colors and patterns are cut-and-dry. But isn't a room always in progress? Rooms are very "fluid" at Pineapple House! Pictures, pillows, rugs, chairs . . . they migrate from room to room! :)

      ~ Cheryl

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...