As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, February 9, 2024

Project #2: Bookcase for Primary Bedroom


Following 
a "break.," I am back to my series on house projects. Actually, it was my old laptop that broke. I had been limping along with it for several years after I had dropped it and cracked the case, but it finally said ENOUGH. I can't blame it. 

So, on we go . . .



The second house project of last year was actually begun the previous year. It had been partly built, but was put on hold as we were immersed in care giving. Priorities change quickly when there is a crisis!

When we remodeled our primary bedroom back in 2020, we had a table from The Farmhouse that we used as a desk. After a while, however, we decided that the room would work better with a bookcase rather than a desk. First of all, the desk top was a catch-all spot, always cluttered and piled with stuff. Mail, papers, magazines, books to be read, cords for electronics. I'd clean it off only to have it pile up again. Secondly, a bookcase would take up a smaller footprint in the small bedroom. Vertical space seemed to be the answer to both of these problems. 

So we went from this . . . 




to this . . . 
 


Ron made a simple design and built it as wide and tall as would fit the space to allow for the most storage. He used some old wood, but it was too orange-y, so we decided to paint it. I primed it and painted it in Linen White (an Olde Century paint color). Then I lightly distressed it to imitate wear. Finally, I rubbed on a coat of Briwax in light brown to seal and "age" the finish. 

We still have a tray to drop our mail (I'm keeping my eye out for an antique basket that is the right size), and a basket to hold magazines and catalogs. The shelves also hold our devotional books, my Bible, my small collection of Christian fiction, some decorating books, and a few personal photo books.



Even though it took nearly a year to complete it, the bookcase was a relatively small project that made a big difference in our bedroom. We gained a little space and lost a clutter magnet, a win on both counts! 


16 comments:

  1. A great solution. Love the bookcase and it's color. It looks like it will last for a few generations! It will be a nice treasure hunt for you to find the right basket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! It is quite sturdy, so I think it will last. I will thoroughly enjoy hunting for that basket!

      Delete
  2. It looks just right for your room. Will it stay that tidy??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! The mail tray can still get piled up at times, and odd things are occasionally plopped on a shelf (like a couple of Christmas gifts in that first photo), but it is much easier to keep the bookcase tidy because there is not as much surface space.

      Delete
  3. You came up with a good solution, Cheryl. You both are so talented and make a great team! Your bedroom looks lovely. I can imagine you both find it peaceful and restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Martha Ellen! Ron and I love to work together on house-y things. It was born of necessity, but now it's our hobby!

      Delete
  4. A lovely, peaceful looking bedroom. You have such a wonderful "eye" for colonial colors. A quiet retreat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa! We do enjoy our cozy little bedroom.

      Delete
  5. The bookcase looks so good in your room. So much better than the table. I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy! We feel like it was a good choice!
      ~ Cheryl

      Delete
  6. an excellent solution and holds much more than previously in that area. i like how you finished the bookcase and kudos to your husband for a well built structure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry! I will pass your kudos to Ron too! Yes, it does hold more, and stays more organized. That is a "win" for me!

      Delete
  7. Ron is so talented! The bookcase is great. I love getting rid of clutter collecting areas, though I’m always successful! Always working to make our home function well for us!

    Deanna Rabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is, Deanna! His talents have saved us a ton of money over the years. Also yes . . . that is what homemakers do, isn't it? Always thinking and planning and working to make things better. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. Your bedroom is a peaceful place. I like having a bookcase in the bedroom - it's where I keep my journals and some special books.
    Like you, I have a talented husband who builds things to order - aren't we blessed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookshelves are invaluable storage, and yours is so pretty. Ron did a great job on the build, and you have finished it beautifully, Cheryl. Before you mentioned wanting a basket for the top of the bookcase, I was admiring the wooden tray. I was saying to self, "Ooooh... look for one of those for the desk you're sitting at!" :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...