As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, January 30, 2015

A Weekend Chat


The weekend starts out with our sweet Nora's 6th birthday! What a gift she was to our family those 6 years ago...and what a gift she still is, with her quiet and gentle spirit, her beautiful voice, and beaming smile. When we called her this evening to sing "Happy Birthday" to her, she was full of excitement about this grand and glorious day.



In honor of Nora's birthday, I'll share this poem by A. A. Milne...

NOW WE ARE SIX
When I was one,
I had just begun.
When I was two,
I was nearly new.
When I was three,
I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five,
I was just alive.
But now I am six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six
Now and forever.

Happy birthday, Nora...now and forever!




Saturday will be full...lots of coming and going and projects. Ron is helping Brian and Kristin with another house project. Bekah is taking some 4-H workshops. Kati and I will be cleaning and cooking and bizzing around the house. 

We have started off the new year with some productive school time. House projects, on the other hand, have taken a back seat. I have several small things waiting in the wings. Maybe this weekend... or maybe not... 




Of course, this Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday, but we are just not sports people (notable exception: our son-in-law Brian). However, we can really get into some Super Bowl food, so we'll be cooking up some meatball sliders and potato wedges. Board game, anyone? :)




What's happening in your world on this last weekend in January? Are you happy to be able to check off this month of winter? Are you counting the months to spring? The weeks? The days? (I asked a friend that question this week and she said that she was counting the hours! She is really longing for spring!)


11 comments:

  1. I have an article to finish for our state homeschool magazine, then it's just puttering around here. Tim works this weekend, so I have not big plans for Saturday. I'm rearranging some furniture in the bedroom - moved my dresser into the closet and the red cupboard is next to my bed right now. I am thinking of my dry sink coming up from the basement but I'm not sure where.

    Happy Weekend!

    Deanna
    ps - We're not sports people either, so no game for us. We'll just come home from church and hunker down before the snow starts again. Probably watch some Downton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No football here...going tomorrow with 4 of my younger grandchildren to see Sound of Music. It is part of their Christmas gift. Spring definately hasn't sprung here, under a very cold alert. However, friend from Abbitsford, BC says there are daffodils blooming there....gives me hope for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't have any special plans for the weekend and then had a call from our son asking if the boys could come spend the night. Fun! But then... lets just say that we saw what Levi had for lunch (perhaps everything he'd had for the week!) and may have to buy a new car seat if the smell can't be cleaned away. Poor little guy.

    We aren't sports fans either. Super Bowl food, on the hand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Nora! Your weekend sounds super productive. I have loads of stuff to do, but a painful right wrist is holding me back. :-(. Love how you plan to have Super Bowl snacks even though you don't watch the game! I do not like sports, especially football and basketball, baseball I can deal with. But the game will be on as background noise and I enjoy the commercials and half time show. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora is a cutie pie!

    Have a productive, happy weekend. I will be watching DAbbey and then maybe peeking in on the game. (We are not big sports people unless "our" teams are playing.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a cousin with Nora's name! And I wrote out that poem for our granddaughter this past summer when she turned 6. Sounds like you are having a busy fun weekend. No football interest here -- I guess if it had been our home team we'd watch, but I'd have a book in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your little granddaughter--such a pretty little girl!
    I've been putzing around trying to bring February to our decor. Also my husband finished up the taxes and we got those signed and sent off! Yay!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Well seeing how we live in the greater Seattle area there is no ignoring Super Bowl this year for sure. Even our church is having Super Sunday with lots of fun things happening in sync with the game. Your menu sounds delicious. Dear will be smoking ribs and we'll have baked beans and coleslaw with some other goodies, too. Happy birthday to your sweet 6 year old. Go Hawks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HB to Nora with the pretty blue eyes. This past week spring gave us a visit but strong wind push the cold back this way yesterday. Everyone's allergies except mine have gone haywire. Not sure why not me...but I'm okay with that for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello dear Cheryl!!
    Hope you are doing well :-). I miss you and your sweet blog so much... As I was looking back at my older posts, I came running to your blog literally. And I think I can catch up at least now :-) Nora is so sweet and my birthday wishes to her. Have a happy New Year sweet Cheryl.
    Hugs
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday, Nora! What a little doll!! I love the AA Milne books and have a very old and much loved copy of 'Now We Are Six.' Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...