As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, January 23, 2015

Winter Cooking {Beef Stew}


I love cooking during the winter months! There is just something comforting about a soup or stew simmering on the back burner while we're finishing up school in the afternoon. I like using hearty ingredients like root vegetables or winter squash. And isn't the yeasty aroma of rising bread intoxicating? 

Recent meals at our house have included 
  • a potato, onion, and bacon frittata 
  • homemade meat sauce and spaghetti (with enough sauce to put in the freezer for another meal)
  • cream of potato soup
  • Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Pulled Pork

This week, we revisited this yummy recipe for Beef Stew with Noodles. Beef stew is a favorite with Ron, so I was happy to surprise him with this as he came home from work. 

Here is the recipe with my tweaks...



BEEF STEW with NOODLES

1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
2 pounds boneless beef cubes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
coarse salt, ground pepper
2 tablespoons flour
1 32-oz.box reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used what I had left of a bag; it may not have been 1/2 pound.)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups extra-wide egg noodles
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar


Directions:
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat shortening over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until seared and brown, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.

Add flour and stir to coat onions and beef cubes. Cook about a minute.

Stir in broth and water, loosing brown bits in bottom of pan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.

Add carrots and potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender, approximately 10 minutes.

Stir in noodles and continue cooking for about 6 minutes.

Add peas and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until noodles are soft.
(That night, I had a bag of Steamers in the freezer, so I cooked them in the microwave and added 1 cup of the peas to the stew with the parsley and vinegar.)

Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and vinegar.




What kinds of winter foods are you cooking up these days? Do you cook differently in the wintertime?


10 comments:

  1. Cheryl, I love comfort foods this time of the year also. I made beef stew last week---mine is slightly different than yours, but yours looks yummy and beautiful in your Friendly Village dishes. I also make chicken and dumplings and all kinds of soups to warm our tummies. It's especially nice to have leftovers for the freezer or the next day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect food for this cold rainy day. I'm with you, my favorite cooking is the kind that is most welcome in winter. You can put your own creativity into the soups or stews too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how my hubby would love this! A favorite of his he often orders it when we got out. I haven't made it in a couple of years. Think it's about time I did. I can almost smell it, lol. Though your right, there's nothing like the yeasty smell of rising bread...nothing! Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love beef stew...good old-fashioned comfort food at its best. I have a twenty pound Blue Hubbard Squash still sitting here that nust be used. I think it'll be squash soup around here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nust? Might be a Freudian slip this time because I am Not a fan of squash soup, especially my own, LOL!

      Delete
  5. Looks very tasty! I'm pinning this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think beef stew might be on the menu for this snowy January day! Sounds perfect!

    Happy weekend, friend!
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...you got me with that photo of deliciousness in that fabulous bowl! My mouth is watering. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recipe is nice but I also enjoy the atmosphere of your house, really cosy, what class!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...