As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, January 25, 2015

"I Will Bring You Home"


I talk a lot about home here on my blog, whether it's making a home, homeschooling, home cooking, decorating, or gathering people in our home. But this week I have been listening to a song that has challenged me to even deeper thinking about home. 

It's one of those songs that has different levels of meaning. The Lord has been a home to His people, the nation of Israel, throughout their history. But He is also a home to His people --the Church, His bride-- as we are homeless people, strangers and aliens in this world, on the way to our permanent home. 

He IS my home. 

The Farmhouse? I love it and I am grateful for it, but it is temporary. Its only value is in how it is used in His service. 

May I find true satisfaction, my heart's deepest desires, in my Redeemer.

"For here we have no continuing city, but we seek one to come." Hebrews 13:14




7 comments:

  1. May God help us not to store up treasures here, in ordinary things, when our treasure should be Christ himself. He is the only home that will bring us true and lasting joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I look back over my life with all its highs and lows, I see a pattern of pushing, pulling, stretching, molding that I am beginning to see as transforming, creating in me a longing for my heavenly home. What a beautiful post, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More and more I am so looking forward to our eternal home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was Michael Card. I haven't heard that song before. It is beautiful. I heard today at church about two younger people who are making their way to their heavenly home and ready and looking forward. But how comforting that He is our Home now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished watching The Good Lie with my family. So sobering. And then to be here and hear this song. How precious and sweet for my soul. Yes, He is our home. We are quiet spoiled here in America and it is so easy to be distracted from our Home in Jesus. Thank you for this timely reminder ,it is a gift Cheryl. ~tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Home" is two very different places in scripture so I noticed the confusion even in this presentation. However, when we recognize that He Himself is Home that elevates our thinking. This song had me right from the beginning with "whatever's the matter..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful is the song! It is a reminder to all that this earthly place is not all their is, the best is yet to come! Lovely post Cheryl!! Hugs, Nana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...