As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Way of the Cross Leads Home

This morning, the words of a hymn are winding their way through my mind and spirit. I have not heard the song recently, not thought of it in years that I can recall, and yet I am remembering every word.

I must needs go home by the way of the cross,
There’s no other way but this;

No other way but this.

We have been reading aloud Little Pilgrim's Progress, Helen L. Taylor's retelling of John Bunyan's classic allegory. This week we met Ignorance, a boy who was casually, carelessly making His way toward the Celestial City. He knew that the Prince had promised a white robe to every pilgrim, but he was "taking his journey comfortably."

"I do try to obey Him," answered the boy. "I have left my home and become a pilgrim. What else can I do?"
"You did not pass by the Cross," said Christian.
He quite forgot that the King had desired His pilgrims to begin their journey at the Wicket-gate and to travel by the Way of the Cross.
He had not passed by the Cross?

I shall ne’er get sight of the gates of light,
If the way of the cross I miss.

Ignorance finally reached the gates of the Celestial City.

When the King heard that a pilgrim had come to the gate who had neither a white robe nor a Roll, He said, "I do not know him. He must be sent away."
No other way but this.

I must needs go on in the blood sprinkled way,
The path that the Savior trod,
If I ever climb to the heights sublime,
Where the soul is at home with God.

Then I bid farewell to the way of the world,
To walk in it never more;
For the Lord says, “Come,” and I seek my home,
Where He waits at the open door.

Yes, I must go by the Cross to begin my journey, but I must continue to travel in the Way of the Cross, the way of submission and sacrifice, to "reach the heights sublime," and I must forsake the Way of the World, the way of sin and self.

The way of the cross leads home,
The way of the cross leads home,
It is sweet to know as I onward go,
The way of the cross leads home.


The only way home.


(You can sing along here.)

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, so good.

    "Then I bid farewell to the way of the world, to walk in it nevermore."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love that line too, Sarah! So much meaning in those words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it Walt Layfield that used to lead this one? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it may have been him too...but I associate this song with Ronnie's dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't remember hearing it before--but it is beautiful (t.l. the 2nd anonymous)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...