As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, January 10, 2011

Organization (By a Non-Guru):: Tip 1


Store Things Where You Use Them.

(I told you that these tips would be simple.)

This idea is simple, but revolutionary!  Perhaps "revolutionary" is a strong word...but it made a big difference in the organization of my home.

Here's an example:

I store the supplies for cleaning the bathroom...in the bathroom.   

Sounds simple, huh?  Yes, but for years I kept a bin with my cleaning supplies in a closet.  But what if it was not the day to clean the bathroom, but the bathroom mirror needed a quick cleaning?  Was I likely to go into another room and get the Windex and paper towels?  (Answer:  Probably not unless I was expecting guests.)  But if the Windex was right there, I would take a few seconds after brushing my teeth to wipe down that mirror and even swipe over the fixtures or other surfaces. 

But when I moved the cleaning supplies into the bathroom, then they were not convenient to the kitchen.  Solution?  Keep another bottle of Windex, and any other cleaning supplies that are used there, in the kitchen

Why not?! 

Another example:

I purchased multiple pairs of scissors to be kept in each room/area in which they are used.  Duh?  Yeah, I know.  But we used to have a pair of general-use scissors (don't count my sewing scissors which everyone knows not. to. use. for anything other than fabric under penalty of law).  One pair.  But now there is a pair in the kitchen drawer, one with the scrapbook supplies, a pair in each girl's room (don't do that before the haircutting experimental phase is over...ask me how I know...), and one with the gift wrapping supplies. 

One more example:
  
I reorganized my kitchen cupboards and counter top areas to keep things where they are to be used.  We have a coffee center.  The coffee maker is on the counter that is closest to the refrigerator (because the essential half-and-half is in the fridge).  A basket of beverage napkins sits beside the coffee maker.  In the cabinet directly above are the (too) many mugs, coffee, coffee filters, and an assortment of teas and hot chocolate mixes for the non-coffee moments.  At the other end of the work area, near a sunny window, is the baking center.  Here is where we keep the sugar, flour, spices, wooden spoons, spatulas, and the Kitchen Aid mixer. 

:: :: :: :: :: ::

There are so many ways that I have implemented this idea...good silver in the dining room where we have "company" meals, everyday flatware in the everyday kitchen...school books in a pie safe in the kitchen where we "do" school...pencils in a kitchen drawer beside the fridge and the grocery list...

And, I am always on the lookout for ways to relocate things to a place that makes more sense. 

Do you use this concept in your home? 


~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~ 

You may also want to read...
Organization (By a Non-Guru)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, we love this approach. Right now I need to purchase a second set of bathroom cleaning items for our 2nd bathroom. I've noticed it's normally a little dirtier than the other because it's just not as convenient to clean it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to use that approach too! Especially with cleaning, I try to keep a roll of paper towels in each area too because it is so much easier to do a quick clean if needed. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this method too Cheryl, but have to admit when company was here things were not quite as organized, and then I got sick, but plans now are to start back later this week getting things back in order. It took me a while to learn to put the bathroom cleaning products in the bathroom, I guess I got tired of running them down. lol
    Thanks for sharing, and for taking the time to visit me.
    Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you keep ronnie by the back door so its easy for him to go to work

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an island in my kitchen where I keep all my baking supplies. My mixing bowls, measuring cups, spatulas, mixer etc., are all stored in this island along with my flour and sugar canister.
    I keep both bathrooms stocked with cleaning supplies. I have scissors in the office, laundry room and kitchen. And like you, no one touches my fabric scissors! I also have trash cans in each of those rooms and both bathrooms. When the kids were home I had trash cans in their rooms too. That helped with clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping cleaning stuff in the bathroom is a must in our house. I also keep my extra sheets in and under the bed box under the bed they are for. Frees up so much room in the linen closet. No extra steps either- take dirty sheets off and quickly put the fresh ones on. You know all about our coffee and tea center!!lol. I love keeping things functional!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...