As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, January 7, 2011

Organization (By A Non-Guru)


My highly organized friends might consider me a wreck. And, amazingly enough, I have friends who consider me one of their highly organized friends. It's all a matter of perspective, I think.

Twenty or so years ago, I was quite unorganized.

And then I had an epiphany at Mary's house.

Someone asked Mary for a magic marker, and instead of rummaging through drawers and closets (as I might have done), she walked down the hall and immediately returned with a crock filled with markers
whose colored caps were all standing up. I also learned that Mary had a menu plan (What? No panic mode every day at 4 pm? No speed thawing?) that included a chicken dish on Tuesdays and grilling on Saturdays and ethnic food on Wednesdays.

Now if you are an organizational guru, then those simple ideas probably don't impress you. But at that time in my life, I was impressed! Mary had a well-managed home, and I didn't. I was considering homeschooling my children, and I knew that I would have to get my home and my life more organized. I needed order and structure...not my fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants system that meant doing what needed doing when it needed doing (or a little bit after it needed doing).

Fast forward twenty years...

I am still not an organizational guru. (Just peek into my laundry room.) (No, don't.) But I am way beyond what I was before someone asked for a magic marker at Mary's house.

As I begin this new year, I am thinking about organization. I am feeling the need to re-organize some areas of my home. And I am thinking about sharing some tips that have worked for me here in this bloggy space. Although most of my ideas are simple, I have found that simple ideas can make a big difference.

Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading. We've been on an organizational frenzy this week. We are trying to rethink areas that we don't normally think about. The big project for the week was the game closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and selling the couch?!?!!

    I could use some organizational help, looking forward to your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl, I would look forward to hearing tips from you about ANYTHING! I'm anxious to read some of the things you have learned over the past twenty years about organizing! I'll be the first to confess that I could use a hearty dose of skills in that area. Hugs .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring on the ideas! I keep saying to myself, "what worked *there* (in the previous house) doesn't work *here*" (this house, with more space and storage - ahem). But it's really about getting down to business and putting action into good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my favorite subject!!! I am going to be attempting the same thing in the next few weeks. I have a desk that needs some serious help! Sounds stupid but I have the hardest time keeping things in a desk organized. Can't wait to hear your tips:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...