As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, October 29, 2012

Hold Us in Quiet


We who live on the East Coast have been following the reports of Hurricane Sandy and the convergence of storms that is predicted within the next day or so.  While it is tempting to be worried, we were reminded in our church fellowship this morning to remember the One who controls the wind and the waves.  The disciples who were in the boat with the sleeping Master were rebuked by Him for their lack of faith before He calmed the storm (Matthew 8:26).  We who are His must learn to trust Him, come storm or calm.

This poem written by Amy Carmichael has been going through my mind all day...

The Age-Long Minute

Thou art the Lord who slept upon the pillow,
Thou art the Lord who soothed the furious sea,
What matter beating wind and tossing billow
If only we are in the boat with Thee?

Hold us quiet through the age-long minute
While Thou art silent, and the wind is shrill:
Can the boat sink while Thou, dear Lord, art in it;
Can the heart faint that waiteth on Thy will?


Master, hold us in quiet.



***
(Click ~here~ to continue with the series 31 Days of Hospitality...Day 29.)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post, wonderful poem. Though I've been praying for a fizzle, I am reminded that "sometimes the Lord calms the storm and sometimes he calms the child."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl - Know that all of us bloggers are praying for you all on the East coast. Beautiful sermon and poem. Stay safe.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...