As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Thursday, May 9, 2013

Raising the White Flag


I surrender.

To the white.

Or to the gray.

Or to the salt and pepper?

All through my younger years I declared that I would never color my hair.  "I think gray hair is beautiful," I pronounced.  I did...and I do.  The problem was that I started graying at age 35, and I had a two-year-old at the time.  Too much too soon, I thought.  

Then came the day at Arby's.  I was out alone, running errands, and stopped for lunch.  A young mother (only slightly younger than me, I might add) and her little daughter came in and sat at a nearby table.  I noticed that the little girl kept looking at me.  Then she said, "It's Nana, Mommy!"  

Her mother told her that it was not Nana, but she couldn't be convinced.  "It's Nana," she insisted. 

Trying to mollify the situation, the mother gushed in her sweetest voice, "She's pretty like Nana."

I must confess that at that moment I disliked the placating mother and her innocent child, and I held a grudge against Nana for having gray hair.  I bought some Nice and Easy and returned to my original dark brown, a distinctly un-Nana-like color. 

Fast forward around seventeen years.  I am now a grandmother of eight.  I must color my hair more often as there is more gray.  I still think gray hair is beautiful.  Even if it is on my head.  

I am ready to raise the white flag.



Hair evolution (l to r):  dark brown; "camouflaging" highlights; more "camouflage"


When I told my stylist that I was going gray, I told her that my biggest qualm was looking like a skunk.  She recommended that I put in highlights to ease the transition.  Tuesday, I had the second (and final) stage of highlights put in, and there's no going back.  

And now that I am being bold, I just might get my ears pierced!

7 comments:

  1. You are beautiful - grey haired or brown!

    If you get your ears pierced, I'll end you earrings!

    Love
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look fantastic! I love gray hair. Mine just isn't going gray quite fast enough. Oh do take Deanna up on her offer. I think you'll really like pierced ears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go grey, but my hair is too fine and too thin on top so I would look like Ben Franklin, not a good look for a woman at any age!! I don't mind dying my hair, I'm lucky to have a woman who does it very reasonably and well out of her home. No harm in a little primping I say. But if it the grey works and it sure does for you, then by all means! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my ears pierced at 12 yrs old!! And then got another piercing right above for studs! Don't use those any more but I feel downright nekked if I leave the house without earrings. ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hair IS beautiful and WILL be beautiful! Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your hair! Very pretty. You remind me of one of my sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your hair either way! And yes, get pierced ears-- I LOVE to wear earrings:) My hair is getting grayer, but because my hair is naturally dark blonde it doesn't show up as much. So far I can disguise it by using Sun-In. I think I'm the only person in the world who still uses that stuff, but the price can't be beat, so I'll keep going til it doesn't work anymore. I did just get brave and get my hair cut shorter. I'm hoping it's an improvement.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...