As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Sunday, May 5, 2013

Weekend Snapshots: Another Grand Weekend




About this time last year, Kristin and Brian had their first weekend getaway ever, as we hosted their five children for a "grand weekend."  It was successful, for them and for us, so we agreed to do it again this year.

This was the weekend and, like last year, I am filled with sweet memories, totally exhausted, and have renewed admiration for my daughter and son-in-law.  (God gives children to the young for good reason.)  

On Saturday morning, as I came down the stairs into the living room, two-year-old Alaine lit up and ran to give me a hug.  Ben (4) shouted, "Breakfast!"  Both made me smile.  

I also smiled as I watched big sister Maddie's tenderness with her younger siblings, as she watched over them like a little mommy.  

I smiled as Gavin (10) read jokes from the book he brought, and he and Papa both laughed at every one.

I smiled as Owen (6) played "Apples to Apples" by himself, the first time he wasn't part of a team...and as he sounded out the words on his cards.  I smiled at his smile as he presented the brownies he made with Aunt Kati. 

Tonight, I will be smiling as I fall into bed and sleep like a rock.  










3 comments:

  1. : D

    I saw that Mitt Romney gave a recent speech advocating marrying young and having a family. I figured he'd be raked over the coals for it, but it truly is sound advice. There is definitely a reason why God gives children to the young!

    Looks as if a fun weekend was enjoyed by all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for family! And you celebrate it so well! Enjoy the memories, and a little rest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories you are creating! It is truly a blessing to have grandparents like you and your husband (as well as two sweet young aunties to help play:)!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...