As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, September 12, 2016

Back to (Home)School


Ron is back to work. The stay-cation is over. The painting projects are done. My computer is still at the doctor. (I am using Kati's to write this post.) And our family's 26th year of homeschooling began today!



I had to take a peek back through the archives and I was struck at how much older Bekah looks, even since last year!




Of course, if you're a regular reader then you know that last year's school year was our most challenging ever. Ron had surgery at the end of September, had multiple complications, and didn't return to work until the first of the year. Several months later, we moved from our home of thirty-five years. Bekah didn't finish 9th grade until the end of July. 

I'm not complaining! I am grateful for His grace and for His provision for us. We know that it was all a part of His plan for our lives. 

Recently I was reminded of a prayer that I had prayed last summer...before the "challenging" school year had even begun. He knew, and He was preparing me to trust Him for everything. I wrote about it here, but I am sharing the prayer again...
Father, I feel so inadequate for the task. Teaching my child, preparing her for what is ahead is a big deal. I don't see Bekah's future. I don't know everything. In fact, I know very little. But You...You see. You know. You know what she will need to prepare her for what lies ahead. I pray for your divine guidance as I map out our school year. Help me.
Here I am, spinning my wheels about academics, but it is even more important that she be prepared spiritually, that her character is strengthened, that she hears from You. You knit her together before she was born, during those days of difficult pregnancy and hope. You had planned for her life from the start. Help us to be the parents who aid and encourage Your plan for her. 
So as I make choices for Bekah's ninth grade year, I ask for Your leading, as One whose love and care for her surpasses my own. 






Today, as I look back over Bekah's past few years, and over the past twenty-six years of our homeschooling journey, I can only see grace upon grace




And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD;
and great shall be the peace of thy children.
Isaiah 54:13



9 comments:

  1. Bekah is quite a lovely young lady! So nice that you've been a homeschooling Mom, good for you and good for your kids.

    Enjoy the new year and may Ron continue to grow stronger with each new day.

    Love, hugs & prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Bekah is growing up before our eyes in these lovely photos, Cheryl! I know your new school year is going to be great and just what is needed to prepare her for her years ahead. I'm always inspired by your devotion to focus on what is the big picture of life. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless Bekah's year 10. May he lead and guide you both and fill the year with many good things to learn and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your kids "rise up and call you blessed" of mothers. What wonderful preparation you have given them all for life. Congratulations on year #26! God has been faithful and you give Him the honor and glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!

    Such a good reminder Cheryl, of God being the one to look to for it all!

    Love you and these lovely people you have parented and taught!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl, what an amazing story you have to tell. Thank you for sharing those experiences and God's provision and protection in your life. I miss the homeschooling days, and wish I lived closer to my grands to get to participate in that. Our biggest regret is not having more kids, but grateful and thankful for what He's done with our 2 and their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, she just gets prettier and prettier with each year! And honestly how blessed she has no doubt been to have a mother like you who pours her heart and soul into the education of her children in EVERY area. God has great plans for them all! May your new year be fruitful in every area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post touched me...you do not step blithely out on some willy-nilly endeavor. God is in this and He is leading and guiding. Bekah sure has been growing into a beautiful young woman. She is changing before our eyes. Don't hesitate to discuss homeschooling. I enjoy reading about what you are learning and what subjects Bekah is interested in. I know that she is still passionate about her music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely memories over the past several years of homeschooling. Homeschooling was one of the joys of my life. We all loved it - for twenty-one years. I understand the woes of the computers going awry, for this one is right at the edge. I think I need to buy a new battery, for it doesn't hold a charge more than about 10 minutes. I also understand about trying to get your rhythm back. Many blessings on you and your family as you get even more settled into your new home and find a comfortable routine. xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...