As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, January 21, 2017

Wintry White Confections




At the end of a busy week, we needed an idea for something to take to Bekah's book club. The girls (and some of the moms) have tea and snacks as they discuss the book they read that month. The theme for the month of January was "winter," but we were plumb out of ideas.

As I closed my laptop on Thursday evening, there on my computer was inspiration


It was the desktop calendar that I had downloaded courtesy of Nora Murphy Country House! (You can do the same here.)

On Friday morning, I whipped together these little wintry white confections.


As I type, another batch of meringue cookies is in the oven in preparation for our family gathering tomorrow. We'll be celebrating the three January birthdays! (And then we'll be on a birthday hiatus until April!) 



MERINGUE COOKIES
(Original recipe by Nora Murphy is here.)

Preheat oven to 200ºF.

Whip 3 large egg whites on medium-high for about a minute.
Add 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar and a pinch of salt.
Continue to beat until you get soft peaks.

Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar. (I did not have superfine sugar; I used granulated.) 
Continue to beat until you have stiff, shiny peaks and sugar is totally dissolved. 
Add vanilla, beating until it is incorporated.

Fit a large tip onto a piping bag, and fill bag with meringue.
Pipe onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, lifting to leave a cute little swirl at the top. ;) 

Bake in a 200º oven for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.
Meringues should be pale, but lift off the parchment without sticking. 

Turn off the oven.
Return meringues to the oven to cool and dry for a couple of hours or overnight.



8 comments:

  1. Cheryl, your meringues are perfect for your January celebrations. I remember seeing these beauties on Nora's site. I do believe you are the one who first introduced her to me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK you for the link to the calendar!!!
    The cookies were just perfect for January!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look great. I recently watched (on Amazon Prime) a program about baking by Anna Olson. If you have access I'm sure it's something you'd enjoy. Anywho...she had a session of 'meringue' making and it's so funny that's what you're doing. It's a sign. (giggle) My daughter tried it and loved the process and the finished product. So much you can do with meringue! Not just for pie cover. If I can get my blogging done you'll find out why I could not make meringue or anything that required heat. ;=) Thanks for sharing that download. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom used to make meringues fairly often for dessert. A little larger and she made them like cups to hold something--maybe ice cream or fruit? Yours look perfect for a winter gathering. Love your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm. Meringues are such sweet and delicious little morsels. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Nora Murphy's online magazine and I am sure that I can trust you if you say these are good. I made her toffee bars and you can trust me to tell you that something went very wrong. LOL! These flops must be God's way of saying that I didn't need that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my those look delicious and just the perfect "winter" treat. I am sure I would LOVE them, but I will refrain, lol. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...