As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Homeschooling: Finding Joy With Shakespeare (Imperfectly)





We recently had another of our Shakespeare Reading Days, this time reading The Tragedy of Julius Caesar.

So. Much. Fun.

I posted this picture of our "Caesar" on my Facebook page and captioned it: We homeschool. ðŸ¤£

Seriously, can you have this much fun getting an education? (Yes!)


I have lost track of how many of these days we have had. (Six? Seven? More?) Here's what we do*
  • Read a "retelling" of the play, usually from Beautiful Tales From Shakespeare for Children. (Julius Caesar was not in the book, so I found a summary online.) This is to familiarize ourselves with the characters and the story, which makes understanding the Old English a tad easier. 
  • Assign characters and read Acts I and II in the morning.
  • Eat our brown bag lunches, chat, and play. (Yesterday we had an impromptu concert. That was a first. ~smile~) 
  • Read Acts III through V. 

There is a minimum of discussion. Occasionally someone will summarize a scene if a student (or adult) gets lost. Sometimes we will explain a word or phrase. The past couple of times I have listed some famous quotes from the play before we read it (i.e. "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears" or "Beware the ides of March") and have everyone stand up when they hear that line read.

But mostly, we read the play.



My mom and I were having a discussion yesterday about perfection and "good enough," and I later thought about how it applied to our Shakespeare Reading Days.

Do you know that perfection can be paralyzing?

If I thought that the circumstances had to be "perfect," then I would never host these reading days!

  1. I am not an accredited English teacher.
  2. I am not a Shakespeare expert. 
  3. Sometimes, I have not even had time to brush up on the play! 
  4. I do not have enrichment activities planned. 
  5. I do not have control over who does and doesn't come. (Maybe all the participants are good readers; maybe they are not.) 
But . . . 

Always, students are exposed to great literature. Always, we learn things we didn't know before. Always, we push ourselves to read, pronounce, and understand. Always, we become familiar with words and idioms we didn't know came from Shakespeare. Always, we learn stories and characters that we will likely encounter again in literature, movies, and even pop culture. And we usually have some fun along the way!

Even though we have done it imperfectly. 
Here, "Caesar" meets his demise by the hands of the conspirators!


The same principle holds true in many areas of homeschooling. 

Perfection paralyzes. Enthusiasm for your child's learning mobilizes.

Maybe you haven't found the perfect phonics system or the perfect math program. You don't have a separate school room. You're not a highly structured person. (Or maybe you are a highly structured person.) Maybe you don't have a big budget for educational materials. Or you have a toddler who requires a great deal of your attention. You missed Morning Time three times last week. Your child doesn't like science. You don't like science. You don't know all. the. things.

All of this reaching for perfection will keep you from finding the joy in the journey.

Instead, take what you do have and give it a go. Pick up where you left off. Pray that He will multiply your "loaves and fishes." Let your enthusiasm for your child's whole heart take over. 

If you will learn to accept "less than perfect," I believe that you can find joy in your journey of homeschooling! 

(And perhaps "less than perfect" will be the perfect fit for your child's needs!) 






The idea for Shakespeare reading days was inspired by the ideas and experiences of Karen Andreola as shared in A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning

16 comments:

  1. Love the "buts" and your perfection paralyzes comments. Wise words! And it looks like so much fun. I remember staying after school to recite my Shakespeare lines for my English teacher. Apparently he had no time for us to do that during class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement, Dotsie! Usually, it pays off to push past perfectionism.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with you! I realize now that I should have brought Kyle and Sarah! Why not? It would have been so great for them! Maybe I should copy your idea and do it here, but wouldn't that have been so fun for them to do it there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would have been such fun! We plan to have another in the fall. Maybe you could join us then! We'd have a ball!

      Delete
  3. Good advice for all areas of life! So fun to see everyone learning this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with that! (I speak from experience.)

      Delete
  4. How much more fun it must be to learn (what most kids would find boring) this way! If only I had it all to do over again....oh well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can certainly be dull on the page, but read aloud, it can be great fun! :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, good advice and encouragement in the whole learning process. Looks like a fun group of readers in your room. Perfection really does paralyze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! They are a fun group! If you have one or two with dramatic flair, then it takes off!

      Delete
  6. I love this! Brings back good memories of our homeschool days!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww . . . good memories! (Do you miss it?)

      Delete
  7. I think you know how I envy your Shakespeare readings!
    Your perspective about perfection is insightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that, Rebecca! And I always wish you were near enough to join us!

      Delete
  8. What a wise teacher you are, Cheryl! Maybe if I had an English teacher that taught Shakespeare like this I would have liked it. As much as I love English literature, Shakespeare has always eluded me much to the chagrin of my daughter and grandson who adore his works!
    Love your "less than perfect" being good for your child. Wise words, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha Ellen, these readings give students an opportunity to love Shakespeare. Bekah does love Shakespeare, but not all of the students do; some don't return for another reading. But I like that they have been exposed to great literature and get a glimpse of what it's all about.

      Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...