As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, May 4, 2018

Throwing Open the Shutters


Some deep thoughts for your weekend . . . 

“If God had told me some time ago that He was about to make me as happy as I could be in this world, and then had told me that He should begin by crippling me in arm or limb and removing from me all my usual sources of enjoyment, I should have thought it a very strange mode of accomplishing His purpose. And yet, how is His wisdom manifest even in this. For if you should see a man shut up in a closed room idolizing a set of lamps and rejoicing in their light and you wished to make him truly happy, you would begin by blowing out all of his lamps and then throwing open the shutters to let in the light of heaven.”
~ Samuel Rutherford  




8 comments:

  1. Cheryl - this is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a uniquely wonderful quote! Thanks for sharing it. I've learned and am learning that often the thing(s) we would never have chosen bring us the most good for our souls with some joy thrown in along the way! Blessings . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes . . . "good for our souls" is what it's all about! And He is so good to give joy!

      Delete
  3. i'm in agreement with GrammaGrits ♥
    ... thank you for sharing this quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I love this perspective. It makes the "blowing out of lamps" easier to bear.

      Delete
  4. How true and good to chew on this weekend. I do love Samuel Rutherford's writings. Do you have the little old, but reprinted devotional, Joy and Strength? Quite a few of his quotes in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dotsie, I do not have this book. Thank you for the recomendation! On my way to search for it now . . .

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...