As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Sunday Snapshots {Mother's Day 2018}






















Mother's Day was a sweet finale to a busy week of "vacation"! On Sunday, we had twenty-two people around our table(s), chatting, feasting on a casual meal (chicken strips, my mom's awesome potato salad, fresh veggies and dip, and fruit salad) and, of course, honoring our mothers. Mother's Day is a "pretty" holiday, don't you think . . . an opportunity to embrace pink and roses and all things feminine.

Ooooo . . . dessert. Beautiful white cupcakes, strawberries, and a pavlova bar. Individual pavlovas could be topped with your choice of fresh whipped cream, chocolate whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and chocolate chips.

We took lots of photos. We exchanged tokens of love. (This mama received three live plants! Again I ask, Can I keep them alive? I am going to try!) We had Wrapping Paper Antics. (Kristin received a unique Mother's Day dragon, a limited edition by Gavin created with Mother's Day tissue paper! Did I say "unique"? Yes!) We had a couple of musical selections and a skit. We laughed a lot! The children were singing a song they had learned in choir. It is sung as a round. Well, the first two began and something got them tickled. I mean, so tickled they had to stop singing. They regained their composure and began again. It was going well, and then Maddie's voice cracked and the laughing took over again. The third and fourth attempts also ended in a fit of giggles. You know how it is when the harder you try to stop laughing, the more you laugh? That was it! And the more they laughed, the more we all laughed! It was not the smoothest performance ever, but oh what fun we had! If "a merry heart does good, like medicine," then everyone left the party a little healthier! 

After (an incomplete) clean-up, the four of us went to visit to Ron's mom. Ron was the last of her eight children to pay her a Mother's Day visit, so she said that we "made her day." "Well, that is a pretty easy way to make someone's day," I said, but she insisted that it did. (Thinking it over later, I pondered that perhaps it can be just that easy to make someone's day. Note to self: Try more often to make someone's day.)

We arrived home just before 8 pm, in time to watch the new Little Women on Masterpiece. I had been so excited to watch it. Little Women was one of my favorite childhood books and we have watched every one of the movie/television versions of Little Women, so I was eager to see how this one compared. I loved this version, although it didn't top my favorite (the one with Winona Ryder as Jo).

(Would you like to take a quiz to see which Little Women sister you're most like?)

How did you spend your Mother's Day? 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely Day!

    We had everyone here. Tim and I bought steaks and I marinated them on Saturday and Tim used the broiler on the stove to cook them. They were amazing! I got a hanging plant, some flowers, and a new Kitchen Aid mixer! (its red)

    I am going to watch Little Women right now, on pbs.org, while I do some wedding prep work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful Mother's Day in your corner too! And of course your Kitchen Aid mixer is red! :D

      Delete
  2. Wow I have a lot to say here. Enjoyed your photos and the sweet cupcake toppers were outstanding! Looks like a lot of love and fun. Your visit to Ron's mom reminds me of our visits to my husband's grandmother. Enjoyed all the mother/children photos and it looks like you have another one coming to join the family! I was looking forward to Little Women too--my favorite all time book or story I think, with Heidi a close second. I was just a wee bit disappointed in it--of course with such a short time frame they couldn't fit the whole story in, but I thought it was a bit choppy -- but probably how it needed to be. I also like an old black and white version--have you seen that? Jo is my favorite character, so much so I used to be called "Jo" when we were all reading the book back in grade school. Thus I was quite relieved, yet surprised after taking the quiz, that indeed that is sister I'm "most like."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom brought the cupcakes and toppers and strawberrieds, and Bekah arranged them on the serving pieces. I thought they were so pretty. Visiting is something I should do more. I am such a homebody and I love for people to gather here, but I need to make more of an effort to go to others. Yes, a new baby boy coming in August!

      So funny . . . Heidi is my very favorite childhood book, with Little Women being a close second. We always seem to have a lot in common, don't we? I, however, was Beth in the quiz. (I expected to be Meg.)

      I am glad you had lots to say! Fun to chat with you!

      Delete
  3. Our Mothers Day has been and gone in England. What fun for you to have such a big family meal together.
    I'm Beth, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to do a search to see when Mother's Day is celebrated in England. Yes, it has long gone! I was Beth too, although I expected to be Meg.

      Delete
  4. Your Mother's Day celebrations look just lovely! Especially all those desserts...yum! We had a low-key day at home...my sister and I put together a tea party for our dear mother. Then, the evening was spent watching a movie about the upcoming Royal wedding of Prince Harry. We did DVR the Little Women special, though, and are looking forward to watching it later this week. From the previews, it looks wonderful!

    By the way, I took the little test you shared, and I got Beth. :)

    Wishing you a splendid remainder of the week!
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, we are always sure to have plenty of desserts! (Not sure if that's a good thing. But yummy for sure!)

      Sounds like your Mother's Day was perfectly lovely! And it seems that there are lots of "Beths" around. :) Happy week to you too!

      Delete
  5. Your table with your family all gathered is a wonderful sight, Cheryl. I love how you can extend into the next room to include the whole family. The Pavlova bar really got my attention,as well as the darling children--especially the bare-footed darling in the first photo.
    We watched Little Women as well and enjoyed it very much. Winona Ryder as Jo is my favorite as well. I would love to visit Orchard House one day. Oh, I took the quiz and I'm apparently my favorite character Jo. We spent Mother's Day Eve with my son and his family. Love your "making someone's day" comment. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so blessed to have our family . . . and we love having room for all of us to sit together! Little bare-footed Macie (soon to be a "big" sister) is wearing a dress that I had given to her older sister Alaine. It was such a delight to see it again. Every little girl needs a frilly dress now and then!

      I see we like the same Little Women . . . and now I am off to edit the spelling of Miss Ryder's name as I realize that you have spelled it correctly! Oops!

      I am sure that you enjoyed a lovely evening with your son and his family! ♥

      Delete
  6. Loved seeing the events of your pretty Mother’s Day Gathering and reading more about it.

    It is such a good idea to take photos of each family grouping. This is the last year that Christin will be the tallest in hers!

    I have a suggestion for the photos taken with Ron’s mom, but won’t be so obnoxious as to share it here. It was wonderful what you discovered there. I can see how having everyone touch base would make her day.

    Not sure what you have done with your hair, but I really like your new do. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, now I'm curious as to what those picture suggestions might be??

      Delete
    2. I'm curious too! Feel free to share here! I am always interested in improvement with my photos, and maybe others are too.

      My last haircut was a little shorter. Thank you for your kind words!

      Ahhhh . . . the growing grands. It gives one pause.

      Delete
  7. How nice that the whole family could be together with you. The dessert bar looks so yummy!
    I too am a big fan of the "other" version of Little Women! We'll see how the second part is portrayed this Sunday. I missed the documentary on Orchard House that PBS had afterward, so I'm on the hunt to see if it's "in demand" or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very grateful to have all of my family near these days!

      I missed the documentary too! I hope it is shown again sometime.

      Dessert is a highlight of family dinners! ;)

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy viewing your family celebrations and this one was no exception...that was ONE long table of people! You are so right about making someone's day...and just how easy it is...if only we (I) take the few minutes that it takes! I was excited about Little Women too and am looking forward to the rest of it! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long table! My dad was sitting at one end and he said, "You need to get a picture of this!"

      Yes, those few minutes can make a big impact!

      Hope you're enjoying your week too!

      Delete
  9. Cheryl, what a lovely family! (I'll take a pavlova, please!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! (They were good! You can't go wrong with pavlova, I think. And whipped cream. And berries.) :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...