As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry (sometimes) Crisp

This is one of my "go to" dessert recipes. I love it because it is somewhat nutritious, quite versatile, comes via two dear friends*...and also tastes good!

This version is the one I make most often in the summer:

In a greased 2-quart casserole dish, stir together
  • 5 cups blueberries

  • 1 cup sugar

  • generous shake or two of cinnamon

  • not as generous shake of nutmeg
On top, sprinkle a mixture of
  • 1 and 1/2 cups of oats

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar

  • 1/3 cup flour

  • 1 stick butter
Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

There you have it. All you need to do is top it off with a scoop of Breyers® vanilla ice cream and pour yourself a cup of coffee.


You can make this into an autumn spectacular by using 2 cups of cranberries and 3 cups of unpeeled apples (love that "unpeeled" part!) instead of the blueberries, eliminating the nutmeg, and maybe adding some pecans or walnuts in the topping.

It becomes a Valentine treat if you substitute cherries for the blueberries...or take a real shortcut and put the topping over a couple of cans of prepared cherry pie filling. (Leave out spices this time.)

I've also made it with peaches. You basically can't go wrong.

And did I mention that you can eat this for breakfast? (Just omit the ice cream.) Don't give me that look! It has fruit and oats, doesn't it? Doesn't that qualify as breakfast? I think so. :-)

*Thanks, Tamara and Jill!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cheryl... and Tamara... and Jill!

    Oh don't omit the ice cream... it's dairy, right?

    :-D

    Kim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, thanks! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...