As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Soup On Tuesday: Week 6


On this winter Tuesday, I served up some soup with a bit of an Asian flair.  Since we also had Chinese food on Sunday at our {non}Super Bowl party, you might assume that our geography studies had us traveling through Asia.  Not so, as this week we are strolling through jolly old England and the Asian food theme just kind of happened.  I suppose we'll have to make some scones or kidney pie before the week is over. 

Our collective opinion on the Sizzling Rice Soup was that it needed a bit more flavor.  Everyone liked it (although some picked out their water chestnuts and bamboo shoots), but it just didn't have the intensity that we associate with Asian food.  (Maybe we're too accustomed to Chinese take-out with its MSG!)  If I made it again, I'd experiment with some ways to boost the flavor. 

It's a good thing I stopped by Sam's Club on our way home from knitting class and picked up their Chopped Asian Salad Mix.  Now that had flavor!

Tonight's soup...




Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
8 cups chicken broth
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots, drained
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 10-ounce package frozen peas
1/4 cup cooking oil

Directions:
  1. Cook rice according to package directions.  Spread on a greased baking pan, and bake at 300° for 1 hour or until dried and browned, stirring occasionally.  Set aside.
  2. In a large pot, combine the broth, chicken, onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and garlic powder.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour.    
  3. Add peas and cook 15 minutes. 
  4. Just before serving, heat oil in a skillet.  Fry rice in hot oil.   
  5. Ladle soup into serving bowls.  Immediately spoon some hot rice into each bowl and it will sizzle. 

Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 1:  The first Soup on Tuesday...Sausage Bean Chowder (recipe ~here~scroll to the bottom of post)
Week 2:  Seafood Chowder
Week 3:  Pizza Soup
Note:  The recipe for Pizza Soup had an error.  The recipe should have read a 7-ounce package of pepperoni, not a 1-ounce package.  That's not enough pepperoni!   (It has been corrected!  ~smile~) 

5 comments:

  1. You are so good trying new things...

    I tend to stick to the tried and true...Tim loves to try new things - I guess I should mix it up a bit!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that I missed your last few posts. Of course if I do the math, I missed posting... Your 'superbowl' party was a hoot. We don't have cable either but friends of ours had a party. I spent the entire game knitting and talking at an 8 foot oak picnic table with my hindsky seated on an oak plank bench in the dining room for 4 hours. It was great!
    Ah Grandmary. She is so proper and elegant. I can definitely see why Ben was the perfect choice for the part. Of course his beautiful grey hair didn't hurt. ;)

    Your address to young moms was a sweet encouragement from a wise pro. Makes me think of an admonishment in Titus...

    Now for the soup. I am the queen of spice. Not saying I know how to properly use them. I just know I want lots of it in my food and looking at that ingredients list I see your problem. You need to get that pepper shaker going! And who uses a half teaspoon of garlic powder? Shake it baby!

    The growing soup list at the bottom of your soup posts is a great idea. It reminded me that I had intended to try the Italian sausage soup and the seafood chowder!

    I'm looking forward to seeing your few stitches. I know it's awkward at first, but keep with it. It becomes soothing and meditative! Hard to believe right now but trust me!!

    Have a beautiful blesses day dear Cheryl, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eye goes straight to that pizza soup every time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl,

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog. It was wonderful hearing from you and about having a baby at 40!

    Love your soup recipe. We do the same thing - soup once a week but we tend to have it on Monday or Wednesday. On that day, we tend to eat dinner late - after 7pm because of our son's activities. The soup is nice and light and makes a good dinner for a later night meal.

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ate "macaroni and cheese with vegetables soup" this week. I loved it. It reminded me of the broccoli cheese soup we used to have, although this used regular cheddar cheese (not Velveeta).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...