As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, August 31, 2013

August


This month has found us numbering our days. 

Birthdays (plural!) were celebrated and we have numbered the days as one year has passed into another. Anniversaries (plural!) were celebrated and we have numbered the days and years spent together. 

We have tried to make the most of this month, the last one of the summer season, and I believe that we have. We have visited family, taken time away, gone for drives, taken walks, had a few parties, gone on coffee dates with friends, slept in, gone to the beach, wrapped presents, and eaten cake (and pie).  




For the first summer in years, I have been content to let this summer linger. Maybe it was the somewhat milder weather we've had. Maybe it was because this summer was "easier" and did not bring hard knocks. And maybe it's because I've been numbering my days and not wanting to rush any of them.

Autumn is in the air. I can hear it whispering as the pyracantha berries blush the palest orange and the corn stalks tinge brown and the sun sets a bit earlier. 

And as the calendar page turns to September, I will continue to number my days.


So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
Psalm 90:12 

8 comments:

  1. Psalm144:4 Man is like a breath;his days are like a passing shadow.

    I sense the reality of this as I get older.

    God is good to teach us to number our days, so we can gain wisdom.

    Love this post Cheryl.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your end of the month collages always remind me of how much living is packed into a month. This numbering of days...I am coming to see that our time here is a mere blip on the screen compared to Eternity. It is certainly best to fill the days with as much love, kindness, and beauty as they can hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl,
    A belated Happy Birthday! Sound like a lovely day.
    You have lived August well! Numbering our days, not spending them thinking of future seasons, but spending them in living them is a wonderful gift.
    I do love autumn, too, but I squeeze all the summer out of the season that I can! After all, Summer isn't over til the 3rd week of September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your end of month posts. They make me remember the fun times I had and things I accomplished. Thanks for sharing, and let autumn begin!! Meanwhile back at the "ranch" it is 90 degrees and sooo humid today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, Cheryl, and I love your end of the month photo collage. I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've enjoyed this summer more than usual and as much as I love fall, I'm reluctant to see it end. Maybe it's because I have been thinking how swiftly the years are going by and want to savor each season as it comes more than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures always say so much! (And a belated happy birthday-- it sounded like a wonderful day.) I appreciate what you way about numbering our days; that is my hope for this year, after a tumultuous year that took over my life. Already this year feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always inspire me with your pictures. August has been a wonderful month and your pictures testify to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. That verse is one of my favorites - numbering our days, counting our blessings, giving thanks to God for his faithfulness - is a wonderful way to live. Your month has been full to the brim.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...