As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday Morning Musings



This Spurgeon quote struck a chord in my heart.  And I believe it to be true.

As an older mother (I have been a mother for 33 years now!), I know that the years of "looking after your own children" are really short. They fly by! (There are days of weariness or sleep deprivation or illness when even the minutes drag, I know. But the years do fly, and then you realize how much the minutes count.) 



This week our "baby" Bekah got new glasses...and it was like she grew up before our eyes! How do glasses make a girl look so much older? Last night, I saw Ron looking across the room at her. He quietly said to me, "We have no more babies." 

What we do have are a few more years to "look after our own children", to "train them up in God's fear", to "make our household a church for God"...to make a mark. 

We have a few more years to make the minutes count. 


10 comments:

  1. And you have even more years to make an impact on your grandchildren! God blesses our faithfulness to Him. A great post and quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I so agree. I want to enjoy this stage e'en though sometimes I fret the best is past. NO! The best is right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote really and truly hits the nail on the head, doesn't it?
    Time flies. That's why it is so important to notice and enjoy the little, simple things. Gratitude, my friend, is a wonderful gift, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, special words, and beautiful "almost' all grown up Bekah. ;-) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree!

    I love your heart - and Dotsie is right in saying that you have many more years to influence your Grands!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parents can make the minutes count all through their lives. My mother never stopped being a mom and my grandmother never did either. Bekah really does look grown up! ; > This need for babies in the family is where grands come in so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bittersweet moment? Where you love seeing them grow up, but there's the pang....no more babies.

    She's beautiful, your Bekah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. {sniff}
    I understand.
    Your Bekah is beautiful, and so is her mother. The little glimpses of your family that you share with us encourage me and bolster my faith. Thank you!
    Did I ever tell you my baby's name is Bekah, also? She's 7 now, our oldest is 27. Ah yes, the years do fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spurgeon is just so...my favorite. I love his heart for the gospel and how clearly he sees our calling in Christ. I'm always encouraged by him and when I see quotes like this I can't help but think I need to read more he has written. Thank you for the encouragement. I know the older I get the more I feel responsible for having an impact on other children, not just my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful child/young woman!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...