As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fruit On Tuesday ~ Week 10 {Bostonian Blueberry Muffins}




We were talking to our son Ryan and his family on the phone a couple of weeks ago, and Eve (6) reported that it was the best day of her life. Why? Because Sarah and the children had picked some wild blueberries that afternoon on the way home from a hike, and then made blueberry muffins with them when they got home. Eve said, "They really did say 'kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!'" She was thrilled.




You may remember "kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk" from the sweet children's book, Blueberries For Sal, written by Robert McCloskey in 1948. I read this book as a child myself, I have read it to my own children, and we gave it to Eve a few years ago. Then our faraway family moved to Maine, home of "Sal" and the wild blueberries! 

So of course Eve was thrilled on the day that they picked those berries! Of course it was the best day of her life!  (Oh, how I love her!)  


Eve (6), Nora (4), and Peter (2)


Later in our conversation, Eve posed the question to us, "What was the best day of your life?"

While we thought about our answers, Ryan piped up, "The day that they had me, because I'm their favorite."  That boy!  :)


It was a good day!



Today I made blueberry muffins...with Eve in mind! In fact, I think that from now on I will always think of Eve (and the best day of her life) when I make blueberry muffins.

I have been using this particular muffin recipe for over thirty years. (Ack!)

In February of 1982 (six months before Eve's daddy was born!), Country Living magazine ran an article called "Big Beautiful Muffins." Maybe the tantalizing pictures caught the eye of the newly pregnant mama? Whatever the reason, I tried a few of the recipes. I have tried most of them over the years, and several have become classics here at our house, including these Bostonian Blueberry Muffins. 





Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup plus 1  1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1  1/2 to 2 cups fresh or frozen unthawed blueberries
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425°F. Butter muffin cups.
  2. Combine dry ingredients, except 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar, in bowl and blend.
  3. In a separate bowl toss 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients with berries; set aside.
  4. After butter has cooled slightly, stir in milk, then eggs and vanilla.
  5. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until well-moistened. Stir in berries.
  6. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle muffin tops with reserved sugar.
  7. Bake 18 minutes until golden brown. Let muffins stand 5 minutes before removing from tin.   


Do you have recipes that remind you of a loved one? 






Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 4: Raspberry Sauce
Week 6: Key Lime Pie
Week 9: Peach Chutney

8 comments:

  1. Love this story! Eve will be pleased that your thoughts are if her whenever you make blueberry muffins! Now those look delish and sound healthful. Oh yes! Many foods remind me of certain people or special events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good book. Sweet story. Now why am I not at your house for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute kids and story! I love Ryan's answer. :)
    The muffin recipe sounds so good that I copied and pasted. I'll be trying it out soon. Thanks for sharing!
    So many foods bring back memories of certain loved ones who are gone now. Whenever family/friends were together, there was food!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this connecting story with the R. McCloskey book! Cute pictures, I bet you wish you could have been there to hear the clunking!

    And I enjoyed your Sunday snapshots with the dressup party. I wish you could have seen the two princesses that came to see me from next door. Their new gowns were definitely from the middle ages and vibrant with color --they were bought just that morning on sale (halloween costumes but they are keeping that quiet. )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so sweet! What delight!

    Those muffins sound really good too!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh do those muffins look delicious! I made a batch this morning as two of our grandchildren were here and we were looking for something for breakfast. Those old recipes are always the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the mouths of babes. You are indeed blessed by these beautiful little people. Now I want to bake some blueberry muffins!
    Looking Up!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That is a beautiful muffin. I love that book and am so glad there were no bears in your story. I've never picked blueberries though I do think there is a place not too far away. I bought some for 99 cents a pint and was happy about that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...