As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, October 25, 2013

CeLeBRaTe!! {Day 25 ~ Celebrating Marriage}


During the first year of our marriage, we celebrated every month!  On the 19th of each month, I tried to make a special meal and we'd eat by candlelight.  Ron's work schedule sometimes meant we had to wait for the weekend, but we did our best. Those first months were exciting!

On our first anniversary, we unwrapped the top layer of our wedding cake and reminisced. We also wondered who in the world started that tradition  because that slice of wedding cake was not the yummy treat we had imagined. We dreamed, and thought that maybe we'd go on a cruise for our 10th anniversary.

On our second anniversary, I was in the hospital with a one-day-old baby girl!

Over the years, we have celebrated our anniversary in many different ways, most of them simple. (Our celebrations were often dictated by our finances!) 

Most of the time, we went out for dinner. Occasionally, we'd just exchange cards. (And to be totally honest here, there were anniversaries when only one card was given, because Ron one of us forgot to buy a card. Oops.)

On our 10th anniversary, I kidnapped my husband! I arranged for the kids to stay with my parents. I called the man for whom Ron was doing a side job to let him know that Ron would not be working that Saturday. I packed an overnight bag for both of us. And after we ate our anniversary dinner at a seafood restaurant, I told him that I'd be driving and I whisked him off to the town (and the same motel) where we had spent our first night together. (We didn't have the money to go on a cruise, but it didn't matter.)

On our 15th anniversary, I was pregnant with Kati. That summer we had central air installed in the downstairs of our farmhouse (hot, emotional pregnant mama), and we joked that we didn't even have enough money left to ride the paddle boats at the city park! Not quite true, but I didn't really want to ride the paddle boats.

On our 20th anniversary, Ron had intended to surprise me with a new wedding band and a one-day cruise. We would drive to meet the boat, where we'd cruise to an island for the day. But my dad had heart bypass surgery and the cruise was cancelled. (I loved the wedding band, though!)

On our 25th anniversary, Kristin and Ryan, assisted by Mom, gave us a surprise anniversary party! It was a delightful day of celebrating with family and friends.

I have told you about our recent 35th anniversary getaway. It was a relaxing, meaningful time spent together. We can hardly believe we've been married for 35 years!

(Guess what? We don't even want to go on a cruise anymore. Really!) 

So what was the purpose of my taking you on this little trip through time?

There are so many ways to celebrate a wedding anniversary...big and small, simple and lavish, expensive and inexpensive, private or with family or friends. I don't think it really matters so much how we celebrate.

I think what really matters is that we honor marriage.

That we take the time to say "you are important to me" in a hundred little ways.

That we allow Christ to be seen in us as we live out the picture of Christ and His Church. "This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the Church." (Ephesians 5:32 NKJV)



CeLeBRaTion Tip of the Day: 
Celebrate the fact that God can take two flawed human beings and make them into a picture of Christ and His Church! Amazing!





This is Day 25 in the series CeLeBRaTe!!  Click ~here~ to see more.


6 comments:

  1. Okay...I am supposed to be back in Blogdom to fetch the recipe at MGCC today; however, when I saw this darling wedding photo, I was immediately sidetracked. Oh you are so beautiful! I can see a lot of Kati. And you are exactly right about why we should be celebrating...couples are supposed to be representing the love of Christ for His Bride. I must be more intentional. Like many husbands, these anniversaries hold little meaning or significance for John. I'll have to make up the difference. No, not that either...I'll do what I can do and allow The Lord to do the rest. Thank you for sharing how you celebrate and allowing it to be real. Life, after all, has its challenges. You kids, you! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful couple on their wedding day. Kati looks like you, and I see Bekah in her dad. And, of course, the moral of this story is spot on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very wise and thoughtful post! You don't need a lot of money to celebrate those special moments in our lives, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great wedding photo! I can easily see all of your children in those faces :-)

    How sobering it is to think that God gave us such a task in marriage, to be a representation of what Christ has done for His Bride, the Church, and the holy bond between us. And how marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Your celebrations sound quite a bit like ours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful couple, Cheryl, Kati looks so much like you. You are so right all that matters is that we honor our marriage, you and Ron have certainly honored yours thank you for sharing these precious precious memories.
    Blesisngs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...