As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Friday, December 30, 2011

Reflections: 2011


For many years, our family has made a list of the past year's highlights.  We record births and deaths and major life events, but we also include vacations, lost teeth, and room remodels.  Basically, we record anything that seems significant to any family member. 

I have been reflecting on this past year, 2011.  It has been a year of highs and lows, a year of rejoicing and weeping, a year of accomplishment, a year of loss, a year full of His grace

As I am reflecting, I am going to share a highlight or two from each month, as recorded here in my bloggy space.  Join me if you like. 


JANUARY
Our visit from our faraway family (son Ryan, his wife Sarah, grandbabies Eve, Nora, and Peter) was far and away the highlight of this first month of the year!  I made a Smilebox collection of some sweet moments of our together time.  


FEBRUARY
How can the shortest month of the year seem so l-o-n-g?  Maybe it was because the flu made its way through our family of four...one. at. a. time.  Sometime between being sick and being nurse, I scratched out these musings about our preparations for our visitors and our preparations for the King of kings.


MARCH
The day of sorting spring and summer clothes with all of the little girls turned my thoughts toward changes.  


APRIL
April was full (with Bekah's birthday and Resurrection Sunday, and Kristin and Brian moving into their new home), but my thoughts were turned towards the end of our school year--Kati's last end of the school year. 

MAY
I began with a lesson inspired by a little boy's thorn...

...and then there was the bathroom remodel (yikes!). 
and


JUNE
Our June highlight was, of course, Kati's graduation, a day of tears (mostly joyful!) and celebration and reflection.


JULY
Oh, what a month of emotional extremes...a visit from Ryan, a beautiful celebration of marriage for family friends, a graduation party...but also intense sadness as dear friends neared the end of their earthly sojourn, and Ron's father reached the end of his. 


AUGUST
How do I choose just one post from August?  This is our month of SIX birthdays (including Ryan and Kristin and a triple birthday extravaganza) and THREE anniversaries (including our own and Kristin and Brian's 10th).  
But I also mused about passing along valued treasures...

... and the weeping continued as my friend's husband went to his Heavenly home.


SEPTEMBER
A new baby (my first great-niece), a charming wedding...and back to school with one student.


OCTOBER
In October, I wrote from my heart for all thirty-one days in my series...


NOVEMBER
We were thankful as we savored the moments...and I created another Smilebox of Thanksgiving memories.
and


DECEMBER
The year's theme of "rejoicing and weeping" continued as my beloved friend Ann slipped from her bed of suffering into His presence...

and we celebrated the first coming of Emmanuel.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not.
As Thou has been Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness;
Great is Thy faithfulness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hast provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me. 

(Words by Thomas Chisolm)

3 comments:

  1. There goes my theory to bits. Your post did it. It's okay. Just as I had three Canadian blogger friends post successively on their years in review, I concluded that it was a Canadian "thing." Now after a few Americans have posted similar and wonderful reviews, I must give up my theory. The hymn you selected to sum things all up is perfect. We may not always love the path we must walk, yet we know that He is walking it right along with us. Are you expecting Little Peter and family back in January?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful review....

    Hope you get to see your son's family again soon!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! Cheryl, what a wonderful review of this past year, and I am nodding my head and saying "yes, yes", I remember this. You are so gifted in putting your thoughts in written form.

    One of the things I like about blogging is the journaling that we bloggers do, and what a great heritage we are leaving our children and grandchildren both with words and photos together.

    I don't know about you but until blogging I was filling shoe boxes with photos, and putting hand written journals in drawers, though I still journal by hand written notes, just not quite as often. ~smile~

    Thank you for sharing, I so look forward to you sharing,and getting to know you even more. Thank you too, for visiting me and for your encouraging words.
    Blessings for this New Year.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...