As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Bread On Tuesday ~ Week 11 {French Bread}


French bread was the first bread that I ever made!  

When I was a newlywed (34 years ago), my aunt gave me a cookbook that her local women's club had published.  I was not a proficient cook in those days (to say the least!), but I perused the recipes in this book, knowing that "real" women had made them.  For some reason, one day I decided to make French bread. 

 


Amazingly enough, the bread turned out beautiful and delicious!  Beginner's luck maybe, but I even impressed a few people by giving loaves of French bread as Christmas gifts.   

Although it takes a little time, the process is relatively simple...and maybe you'll impress your friends and family with your baking prowess. 



This week's bread...


(Makes 1 loaf)


Ingredients:
1  1/4 cup warm water
1 package quick-rising yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons shortening
1  teaspoon salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
  1. Mix water and yeast into mixing bowl.  Stir to dissolve.
  2. Stir in other ingredients and mix with spoon until smooth.  Knead dough until smooth and elastic.
  3. Round up in greased bowl; turn to bring greased side up.  Cover with damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
  4. Punch down.  Let dough rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes.
  5. Roll into 15 x 10-inch oblong.  Roll up tightly toward you.  Seal by pinching each end together.  With hands on each end, roll gently back and forth to lengthen loaf and taper ends.
  6. Place diagonally on lightly greased baking sheet.  Make 1/4-inch slashes on dough ant 2-inch intervals.  Brush with cold water and let stand 45 minutes.  
  7. Brush again and bake at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes, until top is golden brown.
  8. Cool on rack before slicing.

MY NOTES:
  • I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for both mixing and kneading the dough.
  • If you use active dry yeast (as opposed to the quick-rising), double all suggested rising times.
  • I sometimes use a combination of half white flour/half whole wheat pastry flour for a loaf of French wheat bread...yum!




One more week in our Bread On Tuesday series.  
Check back next week for a bread with a fun surprise!





Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that the Lord had visited his people in giving them bread.

Ruth 1:6




Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 5: Rosemary Bread
Week 6: Cheddar Biscuits
Week 9: Coconut Bread
Week 10:  Naan

2 comments:

  1. I have never made homemade French Bread. Since I get such wonderful loaves from the store for not too much money, I probably won't start now, unless you tell me that it will be a lot better than store bought, in which case, I might have to try. I can try anything once. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vee, I have bought my share of grocery store French bread! But there is nothing like the yeasty taste of homemade French bread. I polled my family and they say that the homemade is better.

    (Not that I'll stop buying those convenient grocery store loaves...)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...