As the name of my blog indicates, I spend a lot of time thinking about home. Of course, my Heavenly Home is the one that is eternal, so that’s where I need to lay up my treasures, and that’s the one I’m striving for. But in the meantime, I have been given this tiny piece of the here-and-now—this home on the edge of town, this family, this neighborhood—in which to serve Him. And, though this is in the earthly realm, I want the things that happen here to be investments in the Heavenly realm.




Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bread On Tuesday ~ Week 12 {Bunny Bread}


I decided to wrap up my Bread On Tuesday series with a fun-and-fancy bread recipe!  



I first saw these sweet little bunnies in a Good Housekeeping magazine...the April 1992 issue, to be exact!  But for years I used the recipe to make dinner rolls and never made the bunnies.  


Today, we made bunnies!  



And don't you think they're the cutest things?

They have a sweet surprise tucked inside, a Hershey's Kiss (although ours have a Hershey's egg instead because Hershey's eggs were on sale ~smile~).

So they're cute, they have a sweet surprise, and guess what else?  They don't take long to make!  No rise time, only 15 minutes to rest the dough.

Of course, we had to sample one before we could recommend them to you (of course!), but after deciding that they were delicious as well as adorable, I wrapped them and popped them into the freezer to wait for the grands on Sunday.  (At our house, we don't make a big deal out of bunnies and chicks on Resurrection Day, choosing rather to focus on the spiritual aspect of the holiday.  But I am making an exception this year, because these are too cute not to share.  We'll just call them "spring bunnies.")

Wouldn't these bunnies be a darling addition to your table any springtime day?  I think so!


This week's bread...


(Makes 8 bunnies)


Ingredients:
2 packages quick-rising yeast
1/2 cup sugar 
1 teaspoon salt

4 1/2 cups flour, divided
6 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
8 Hershey's kisses
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 cup flour.  In saucepan over medium heat, beat margarine and 1 cup water until very warm (125°F).
  2. With mixer at low speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients.  At medium speed, beat 2 minutes.  Reserve 1 egg white; beat in egg and egg yolk with 1 cup flour.  Beat 2 minutes.  Stir in 2 1/4 cups flour.
  3. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, working in about 1/4 cup flour while kneading.  Shape dough into ball; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 375°F.  Grease 2 cookie sheets.  Cut dough into eighths.  
  5. For 1 bunny: Cut 1 piece dough in half; shape half into ball, with a kiss in enter for body.  Place on cookie sheet.  Cut other half in half and shape one half into a ball; brush with egg white; place next to large ball, tucking slightly under it for head.  From remaining half, pinch off 3/4-inch piece for tail and shape 2 ears.  Brush tail and ears with egg white; tuck slightly under bunny.  Brush body with egg white.  
  6. Make 3 more bunnies.  Bake 15 minutes or until browned.  Cool on rack.  
  7. Repeat to make 4 more.  
  8. Mix confectioners' sugar with about 1/4 teaspoon water and a hint of red food coloring (for pink); use to draw faces on bunnies.  Tie bows around bunnies' necks (optional).  

MY NOTES:
  • I used my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for both mixing and kneading the dough.
  • Remember that you can use the same recipe to make dinner rolls, if you don't have the inclination to make bunnies.  They are quick and good!




This concludes our Bread On Tuesday series!  Next week, I'll have a tidy little post with all the links, a Pin-able button, and a few notes about bread making.


I hope you have enjoyed this third series of "On Tuesday" recipes.  (Others were Soup on Tuesday last winter, and Salad On Tuesday last summer.)  I'm already thinking about another series for this coming summer!  




And they told what things were done in the way, 
and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.

Luke 24:35




Looking for a recipe from another week?
Week 5: Rosemary Bread
Week 6: Cheddar Biscuits
Week 9: Coconut Bread
Week 10:  Naan
Week 11:  French Bread

6 comments:

  1. These are adorable, and I am keeping this recipe. Love that you added a chocolate egg. Happy and blessed Easter, Cheryl to you and your family. I am looking forward to your summer series. Wonder what it could be? xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look adorable and I'm happy to know that you tested them just for us! Are you gals making a Resurrection Garden? I think Deanna and family did one last year and I've been wanting to try one ever since. Resurrection Day is certainly worthy of celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a big deal about Easter eggs here. But I do enjoy the beauty of it all in spring like colors. It's all about the stone being rolled away. The bunnies look cute and I will pin this for dinner rolls if nothing else! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO CUTE! And... a chocolate surprise. That's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are the sweetest things! My hubby is the bread baker in our family so I'll be showing this to him - too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Cheryl, I decided to comment here on your last three post, the jelly beans in the canning jar is a great idea, loved all the photos. I read once that jelly bean were President Ronald Reagan's favorite candy, and that he always kept them on his desk. He was one of if not my favorite president.
    Your Gathering post was exceptional, your dining room looks as though it indeed was prepared with much love from your's and your girl's hearts.I go to many homes and I can always tell if there is love in that home! Please share of that delicious looking desert. ~smile~

    Your spring bunnies look absolutely professionally prepared, photos fit for a Good Housekeeping layout. I am looking forward to your post on your bread series,so I can book mark them, I have missed so much blogging this past year.
    I too believe more focus should be on the real reason we celebrate Resurrection Sunday. I feel so blessed to have met you through blogging, you are truly an inspiration to me.
    Much blessings to you and your dear family as we celebrate this most blessed season.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...